- Name of the department : EDUCATION, MAJULI COLLEGE.
- Year of Establishment : 1970
- Name of Programmes / Courses offered (UG,PG,M. Phil., Ph.D., Integrated Masters ; Integrated Ph.D. etc. ) : (i) UG
: (ii) HS
- Names of Interdisciplinary courses and the departments/units involved : UG
- Annual/Semester/Choice based credit system (programme wise) : Semester-UG
- Participation of the department in the courses offered by other departments : Participate if
- Courses in collaboration with other universities, industries, foreign institutions etc : NIL
- Details of Courses/programmes discontinued (if any) with reasons : NA
- Number of Teaching posts :
- Faculty profile with name, qualification, designation, specialization, (D.Sc./D. /Ph.D/ M.Phil etc.)
|Design-ation||Specialization||No. of years of Experience||No. of Ph.D. Students Guided for the last 4 years|
|Surjya Kumari Chiring Phukan||MA||Associate|
|Mental Hygiene, Laboratory (Psychological) practical||32 years|
|Mental Hygiene, Laboratory (Psychological) practical||27 years 9th Months||NIL|
|Pronita Rajkhowa||M.A, M.Phil||Assistant Professor||Laboratory|
|Dimpi Kardong||M.A.||Contractual Teacher||Laboratory|
- List of senior visiting faculty : NIL
- Percentage of lectures delivered and practical classes handled (programme wise) by temporary faculty : M-10%
- Student –Teacher Ratio (Programme wise) : UG- M- 1:30
G – 1:60
- Number of academic support staff (technical) and administrative staff ;
sanctioned and filled : 01 (Non sanctioned)
- Qualifications of teaching faculty with D.Sc/D.Litt/Ph.D/M. Phil/PG. – M.Phil, PG
- Number of faculty with ongoing projects from (a) National (b) International funding agencies and grants received : N/A
- Departmental projects funded by DST-FIST;UGC,DBT, ICSSR etc. and total grants
Received : NIL
- Research Centre/facility recognized by the university : NO
- (a) Publication per faculty
- Number of papers published in peer reviewed journals (national/International)by faculty and students :
- K. Chiring Phukan : NIL
- Konwar : NIL
- Rajkhowa : Shown below in the chart Sl. No. 3
Seminar/ Workshop/Academic programmes attended by teachers with others extended activities of teacher of the department.
|Sl. No||Name of Teacher||Teaching Experience||No. of Seminar||No. of workshop||Publications||No. of |
|Other academic programme||Specialization/ other extended activates|
|1||Mrs. S.K. Chiring Phukan||34 yrs||05||01||NIL||RC=4||As counselor, As Resource person of workshop, UGC sponsor TET training course, Departmental TET training etc.||· HOD since 1986 Dec to 2013 April & 2016 May till Now.|
· Head examination of TDC course/semester/HS examinations.
· External and Internal examination of practical examinations.
· Member of library committee, examination committee etc.
· Co-ordinator of D.El.Ed. Prog.( Diploma in Elementary Education) Under KKHSOU since July 2012 till date.
|2||Mrs. Smriti Konwar||27 yrs||07||01||Local journal=04||OC=01|
|Experiences as Resource person of TET training programme, (UGC sponsor, D.El.Ed. and departmental)||· HOD for 3 years,2013-2016 April|
· In-charge of Departmental library since 2003 till now.
· Experiences of all academic and other activities of college co-operate life, like college management with students’ union/teacher’s unit etc.
|3||Ms. Pronita Rajkhowa||16 yrs||National=15|
|National=03||Journal & Books=12 ISSN, ISBN|
|Experiences as Resource person (workshop, UGC sponsor TET training, Vidya Bharati etc.)||· Ms. Pronita Rajkhowa is differently abled person.|
· Experiences on all academic/ other activities of college life.
· Related with literacy forum of Majuli College, local & zonal also.
· Related with Rudali Sahitya Nyash, Jorhat District.
- Number of publications listed in International Database (For Eg : Web of Science, Scopus, Humanities International Complete, Dare Database-International Social Science Directory, EBSCO host etc.
- Chapter in Books
- Books Edited
- Books with ISBN/ISSN numbers with details of publishers
- Citation Index
- Impact factor
- Areas of consultancy and income generated : NA
- Faculty as members in
- National Committees (b) International Committees (c) Editorial Boards …………
- AIAER (All India Association for Educational Research) :
Name Regd. No.
- Smriti Konwar 943
- Surjya Kumari Chiring Phukan 944
- Member of Teacher Educational Training : Pranita Rajkhowa
- Student Projects :
- Percentage of students who have done in-house projects including inter departmental/ programme : 100%
- Percentage of students placed for projects in organizations outside the institution i.e. in Research laboratories / Industry/ other agencies : N/A
- Awards / Recognitions received by faculty and students :
Best Graduate of Majuli College and Majuli Sub-Division
|1||Antora Borah||2012||1st Class 21st with distinction||Majuli College BG|
|2||Karabi Saikia||2013||1st Class 2nd with Distinction||College and Majuli Sub-division BG|
|3||Purabi Saikia||2015||1st Class 11th with Star||1. Majuli College|
2. Majuli Sub-Division on 15/8/2015
- List of eminent academicians and scientists/ visitors to the department : NIL
- Seminars/ Conferences / Workshops organized & the source of funding
- National : NIL
- International : NIL
- Student profile programme/ Course wise :
|Name of the Course/programme (refer question o.4)||Applications Received||Selection||Enrolled||Pass|
* M=Male , *F = Female
- Diversity of students
|Name of the Course||% of Students from the same State||% of students from Other States||% of students from abroad|
- How many students have cleared national and state competitive examinations such as NET, SLET, GATE, Civil Services, Defense services etc ?
SLET – 01
DEFENSE SERVICES -06
- Student Progression
|Student progression||Against % enrolled|
|UG to PG||39.30%|
|PG to M. Phil.||11.11%|
|UG to B. Ed||10.10%|
|UG to LLB||5.05%|
• Campus selection
• Other then Campus Recruitment
|Entrepreneurship / Self-employment||5% / 48%|
- Details of Infrastructural facilities
(a) Library : (i) General College Library –Book list of General Library of Majuli College (Department related)
(ii) Departmental Library : Library In-charge : Smriti Konwar ( since 2003 till date)
(i) Number of Books : 508 copies
(ii) Four Book shelves
(iii) Accounts Book : Khata No. 1 & 2
(iv) Stock register : 1
(v) Issue Register : Khata No. 1 & 2
(vi) Peon Book : 1
(vii) Communication record to the HOD/principal/students/ex-Students etc.
Source of books:-
- Teachers of the Department of Education
- Ex- students
- Some well-wishers
- By purchasing.
- Sometimes by publishers etc.
(b) Internet facilities for Staff & students : Yes
(c) Class rooms with ICT facility : Yes (General)
(d) Laboratories : (Yes) Psychological Laboratory only for major course .
- Number of students receiving financial assistance from college, university, government or other agencies : (i) UGC – 03
(ii) Zindal -03
(iii) LIC – 01
(iv) Caste – ST/SC/OBC/Minority Scholarship as per rule.
(v) AASU – 07
(vi) College Aid fund-03
- Details on Student enrichment programmes (Special lectures /workshops/seminar)with external experts : Special lectures by :
(i) Dr. Mukul Kr. Sharma, Rtd. Prof. of Dibrugarh University. Date : 08-09-2011
(ii) Special Seminar : A special seminar was organised by the department for all Major students of education department.
Topic was- Sarbasiksha Abhiyan, Universalisation and problems of primary education.
Chairperson- Dr. Beda Kumar Chaliha
HOD, Department of Education (Now Principal of Raha College)
Rangachahi College, Majuli
(Attached paper cutting)
- Teaching methods adopted to improve student learning :
- TEACHING METHODOLOGY:
In the modern concept of teaching methodology encourages in independent thinking and it has evolves a comprehensive student centric learning approach. There for the Department has designed it to bring a significant value to the learners’ understanding in an integrated manner in different stages.
Course Plans and Unit Plans– Courseware and course handout designed for each faculty member and provide independent teaching towards student. i. e.
- Classroom Instruction by lecture method
- Independent Study – encourases for self study
- Seminar and group Discussion
- Tutorial & remedial classes
- Laboratory sessions for psychological experiment
- Teaching practice attached with local two schools/ field study/ sometimes projects/ educational excursion etc. Encourages independent study by giving instruction with teaching materials and other activities.
- Interact with question answer method
- Internal and Continuous evaluation
The Students performance of each course has evaluated by the guidance of university rules and regulations. The internal evaluation is done throughout the semester by assignment, seminar, group discussion, viva-voce, regular attendance and two sessional examinations. The comprehensive or end semester evaluation is conducted by the authority under university (Dibrugarh).
- Participation in Institutional Social Responsibility (ISR) and Extention activities :
- All the faculty members participated with
(i) Activity of student union.
(ii) Teacher Unit/ employee unit (If needed)
- Other activities of the department:
(a) Co-Curricular activities
Continuous efforts are made to strike on harmonious balance between the students’ classroom activities and outside classroom activities. With the support of the faculty members the students organize various activities like—
- Welcome social and farewell ceremony observes for the incoming and outgoing student of the department.
- 8th March Internal Women’s Day observes with faculty and conducts seminar also among Departmental student.
- 5th June World Environmental Days- by arranging essay competition/ slogan/ Poster competition/ discussion etc.
- 5th September, the Teacher’s Day is celebrated more significantly for the department.
The ‘Education association’ observes it with great honour to Dr. Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan by lightening candles and bow down their head to his image. Some other activities also have done on this special day like;
Special felicitations programme:
- The Department honoured a number of retired teachers and employees of educational institute (primary to college level) in each year 5th Till date the number of honoured persons are 21.
- 1st class holders of the department in the final examination.
- 80% & above holders of H. S. final examination.
- Other specific performance of the department is also felicitated.
Wall Magazine: the “SIKSHAJYOTI” is the departmental wall magazine which was came into light on 5th sept. 2004. It is continuing till date.
Sometimes Education Association arranges meeting on different topics: Educational excursion, picnic, seminar etc.
Some students take part in sports, cultural programme, literary activity in college, inter college meet etc. A few students get CCRT scholarships and able to get medals and awards in different events. Faculty members have relationship that is a bland of the traditional system and the modern approaches as friend and that is why all the faculty members help and encourage them.
- Extension Activities of the Department : The department of Education organized three days ‘Teacher Eligibility Test, Assam.
- Auniati High School- Date: 1.08.2011
- Benganaati Ramakanta Dev High School- Date: 25.09.2011
- Sri Luit Higfh School, Balichapori- Date: 02.10.2011 (attached paper cut)
Resource person- All faculty members of education department.
- SWOC analysis of the department:
- STRENGTH :
- Satisfactory student strength with different abilities ; not academic; but also in co-curricular activities like games/sports, cultural performances, leadership etc.
- Enrolment is also satisfactory with good pass percentage in HS level.
- Excellent academic feedback in Major and General course. Passed percentage is almost 100% with first class with distinction and star marks.
- Department has a own staff room with a computer, shelves, own notice board and some other accommodation.
- Department has a small own library with 508 books and it is in running from 2003 with issuing books to the Major student till now.
- A separate laboratory practical room enriched the department.
- Student progression is satisfactory.
- Friendly student teacher relationship is a unique strength for the department and that is why the department able to done various co-curricular activities smoothly.
These are two major problems for the department which create other relevance problems and weakness to the department. These are-
- Lack of teacher and non-teaching employee as laboratory bearer.
- Lack of proper psychological laboratory.
Because of these two weaknesses there arises-
- Limited seat provision for admission
- On the other hand, with a large no. of students HS level is a burden for the department. This level is not actually under with higher education as the structure is 10+2+3. All the faculty members have to do all activities for them.
There are other some weaknesses:
- No own funding provision for uplifment.
- Rural based college and flood affected area, bad communication condition, poor economic backgrounds of the student are some weakness to the department.
- No separate classroom building.
- Introduced short term course like Montessori Training Course for pre primary level as skill based course in 4th Semester.
- D.EL.Ed. Diploma course under Open University/affiliated university as the paid course for one or two year in distance mode also.
- Lots of opportunity are there for combined DIET course as integrated B.A. B.Ed course as teaching professional course for primary or secondary level.
- With the help of the college the department can take initiative to introduced psychology or applied psychology as a subject for UG level student.
- Opportunity for collaborate learning with other department as well with local college, service to secondary and upper primary level as extended work.
- If HS level is cut from degree level or separate teachers are appointed for them than, there would be arises many opportunities for uplifment of the department.
- Flood affected area, poor communication facilities; rural based college with limited facilities skill passed percentage is almost 100% in Major/General in the department.
- Midterm dropout is high and it turns into a challenge for the department.
- Several students are failed in different subjects; specially in English and out of them some students create wastage and stagnation problem in UG level.
- Because of limited facilities for psychological experiment (practical class) and lack of associated school for practice teaching practical, the department falls several problems but still the department tried to managed into a satisfactory position.
As the educational structure is 10+2+3, the HS level is not actually responsible; still all the teachers have to spent their time for this level. For balancing the academic activities for both level is a big challenge for all of us.
(E) FUTURE PLAN:
As the rural based college there are several problems and challenges to us, but still we have some dreams that may be comes into reality. We have some plans for the development of the department. These are:-
- With the help of the college authority to be established a sophisticated well-equipped suitable psychological laboratory room.
- A well stocked collection of books, journals with reading facility a separate departmental library room is to be established for students for both Major and General course also.
- To be introduced short term skill based course.
- Try to publish own departmental bulletin and edited printed copy of departmental wall magazine.
- To held alumni programme and teacher parents meet as the department will be celebrated its Golden Jubilee after four years.
- To be open departmental own web site.
- Try to establish a separate departmental building with classroom, laboratory room, library room etc.
- Though we have academic limitations still we hope and confident, there would be introduced PG classes on department of education of Majuli College in future.
(All documents are kept in department like, proceedings of departmental meetings, records of students’ activities, progression evaluation attendance Register of each teacher, course plan etc. )
(Mrs. Surjya Kumari Chiring Phukan)
Department of Education
Majuli College, Kamalabari